“Civilization: Beyond Earth” Announced
Firaxis has announced Civilization: Beyond Earth, a spiritual successor to one of my all time favorite turn based strategy games, Alpha Centauri.
Well, there goes my upcoming holidays.
The official trailer (below) doesn’t show anything in the way of actual gameplay but it evokes memories of Alpha Centauri, which clearly it is meant to do.
Firaxis lists the following features as part of the game.
- Seed the Adventure: Establish your cultural identity by choosing one of eight different expedition sponsors, each with its own leader and unique gameplay benefits. Assemble your spacecraft, cargo & colonists through a series of choices that directly seed the starting conditions when arriving at the new planet.
- Colonize an Alien World: Explore the dangers and benefits of a new planet filled with dangerous terrain, mystical resources, and hostile life forms unlike those of Earth. Build outposts, unearth ancient alien relics, tame new forms of life, develop flourishing cities and establish trade routes to create prosperity for your people.
- Technology Web: To reflect progress forward into an uncertain future, technology advancement occurs through a series of nonlinear choices that affect the development of mankind. The technology web is organized around three broad themes, each with a distinct victory condition.
- Quest System: Quests are injected with fiction about the planet, and help to guide you through a series of side-missions that will aid in resource collection, unit upgrades, and advancement through the game.
- Orbital Layer: Build and deploy advanced military, economic and scientific units that provide strategic offensive, defensive and support capabilities from orbit.
- Unit Customization: Unlock different upgrades through the tech web and customize your units to reflect your play style.
- Multiplayer: Up to 8 players can compete for dominance of a new alien world.
- Mod support: Robust mod support allows you to customize and extend your game experience
No word yet on when this will be released but I’d expect it to be sometime late this year.
Well, I am officially excited. How about you? Ascend to transcendence in the comments below.