E3 2014 – Sony’s Press Conference Wrap Up
Sony just wrapped it’s E3 press conference. There were a number of impressive announcements, and only a couple of missteps. Let’s begin!
- Uncharted 4 was announced and an in-game footage trailer was released. It’s coming 2015.
- The Last of Us: Remastered comes out July 29! Whoa!
- Grand Theft Auto V was announced, coming to PS4 “this fall” (September to November). Xbox 360 owners can transfer their saves to the PS4 version! The trailer looked like a pretty impressive leap in quality from the PS3 version, so that’s another thing to be excited about.
- Batman: Arkham Knight showed off an impressive trailer. When I think “next-gen”, this trailer will always come front of mind now. It’s the first trailer to make me excited about a Batman game since Arkham Asylum.
- No Man’s Sky promises to be a massive, multiplayer game of exploration, with procedurally generated worlds. The trailer was drop dead amazing. It also has dinosaurs. Space dinosaurs!
- Metal Gear Solid V got an in-game trailer. The graphics look pretty hot. Personally, I’ve never been a huge fan of the MGS series, but if any game is going to get me interested, this one might be it.
- Mortal Kombat X was shown off. It looked pretty average as far as fighting games go.
- Grim Fandango is being rereleased for PS4 and Vita. To be clear, this isn’t a sequel or a reboot. It’s the 1998 Grim Fandango, remastered. It was a great game in its day, and it’s nice the kiddies today will get to experience it, but it didn’t rock my world.
- Little Big Planet 3 comes out this Christmas. I must admit; I wasn’t expecting a LBP3. But then, I didn’t really want one, either. If you like LBP though, this trailer will probably make you a happy sacky.
- More talking about Project Morpheus; not much showing (unless you’re at E3, where it’s playable in booths).
- Playstation Now is coming to America and Canada soon, but still no word on when (if ever) Australia is getting it.
- There’s going to be a white PS4. Y’know. To fit in with all those other white electronics you have in your entertainment unit. On the plus side, it’ll be bundled with Destiny, a game we still know very little about.
- Speaking of Destiny, there’ll be a beta on July 17. So there’s that.
- YouTube is coming to PS4 this year. Yay?
- Movies and shows made just for PSN. Which is nice, I guess, but this is taking time away from video games!
- The Vita got basically no love, again. There was talk about how 100 games are in development for Vita, and how Playstation Now will make Vita the best mobile gaming device… but we didn’t see any of those 100 games, or how Playstation Now will run on Vita.
The tl;dr Summary
There were a bunch of great announcements, but if you’re a Playstation Vita owner, you’d best be getting a PS4, because the only thing it’s going to be good for soon is likely to be a Wii U Gamepad style accessory for your PS4.
What did you think of the Sony conference? Did you like what you saw, or were you underwhelmed. Let’s talk Playstation, below!